Friday, September 11, 2009

Can I Return This??

Today was a good day with mom. She's been somewhat testy and that is my cue to spend more time with her. Her walking isn't very good and so our options are limited, but off we went on our usual trek - Walmart and IGA.

Today though, there was a bit of a detour. Mom announced that she wanted to buy a new fridge! Now, you have to understand that when my mother wants to buy something, it has to be HER idea and HER choice. I've brought home numerous blouses, linens, mats, makeup and it always get returned. Always. It seems like anything I get is wrong (damn, I'm just reminded that the box of red wine that I bought her needs to be returned and I forgot to take it with me). About a year ago, Mom decided that she wanted new living room furniture. The furniture she had was fine, albeit a bit dated, but it was good quality and in very good condition. Mom saw an ad in a flyer from The Brick. What marketing genius would call a furniture store The Brick? This set was obviously a mass-produced item, although who the masses were that wanted this stuff is beyond me. My husband wondered why on earth was she even considering it. I told him that Mom wanted to go see it and so, Mom was being taken to see it. As we approached the set, I could see that it wasn't quite up to even The Brick's standards, but Mom seemed enthralled with her choice. So, out with the old couch and in with the new. The homeless shelter that got her old set fared far better than she did.

The whole point of this story is that I have decided it's just easier not to suggest anything, let alone buy it. The frustration isn't worth it.

So, there's a new fridge coming and confidentially, it's a beaut! I'd have picked this one too, but I wouldn't tell Mom that, because then she'd have to return it.

Oh, and the sofa set? Mom knows it was a mistake, but she'll never admit that to me.


No comments: