Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Bon Appetit

Went to see Julie & Julia with The Kid. Delicious movie. I've been to Chapters umpteen times to snatch up a copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking and all copies are sold out. I've since learned that the book is in it's third printing since the release of the movie. Understandably! It almost felt sacrilegious to sit there, greasy popcorn bag in hand, munching away, while Julie/Julia created masterpiece after masterpiece. Washing down my popcorn with Coke, somehow didn't match the fine burgundy they were having with their boeuf bourgignon. I swear the theatre had "surround-scent", you could smell the aromas.

I am determined to expand my cooking repertoire. We have a friend who is a gourmand and a wonderful chef. Just yesterday, he posted a Facebook photo of some homemade bread and homemade butter. Homemade butter!!! I'm still shaking my head. Isn't that like the most amazing thing you've ever heard of??

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a bad cook. But that's just it. I'm a cook. People like Warren are "chefs". I learned at my mother's elbow....good, tasty food, albeit laced with lots of garlic and grease, a nod to my Ukrainian heritage. I have tried some semi-exotic things with moderate success, but I seem to slide right back to my old standbys. I subscribe to lots of magazines, that are chockful of interesting recipes and sometimes I do venture outside of my box and try new things. I'm especially fond of the little book "Everyday Food". There I go again....everyday food. I need to try extraordinary day food more often, like Reine de Saba or bone a duck, like Julia did.

Oh well, if you ever need a recipe for chicken stew or perogy dough, I'm your girl.

No comments: