Sunday, October 25, 2009

IHOP, P.F. Chang's and the good ole U.S. of A.

Clearly, I am on a food kick this weekend. Myron and I are off to San Diego in a couple of weeks to meet up with our California friends for a week of more exploring. We are also going to visit Myron's former mentor and partner and his wife in San Luis Obispo.

My husband loves the U.S. and is not among the holier-than-thou Canadians who rant and rave about our neighbours to the south. But I digress.

Myron's passion for the U.S. is fuelled by two things. IHOP and P. F. Chang's. You can't imagine his joy at finding both of these places in one day. Dare I say that when we are planning a trip south of the border, he actually seeks both of these establishments on the net before we head out? Myron stumbled upon P.F. Chang's on a business trip to Los Angeles and was hooked. And now, of course, so am I. P.F. Chang's China Bistro is exactly what it sounds like. A Chinese eatery, that's gone uptown. The food is always good and the service is superb. It also helps that the P.F. Chang's in Michigan is attached to perhaps the most beautiful shopping mall in the state.

International House of Pancakes. IHOP. Myron's four favourite letters in the alphabet. My husband is generous to a fault but he loves a bargain. We don't have IHOP in Canada and so if there's one near where we are in the States, we're there for breakfast. It has always been a good deal, but once Myron turned 55, (and I am also past that milestone now) IHOP became even more attractive. We qualify for The Senior's Special. It's a really great deal. A stack of three for $2.99. IHOP is now a "POI" (Point of Interest) on our GPS. How sad are we?

The staff are efficient and down-home welcoming. In Michigan, we frequent one particular IHOP and Myron is convinced that in order to work there, you need to have at least one front tooth missing. Just adds to the charm of the place. Honest.

God bless the U.S. of A. We love it!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I used to go to IHOP with my grandma. She, like your husband, loved The Senior’s Special. Before going to IHOP again, my family and I are keeping in mind that the company has been exposed for animal cruelty and food safety issues in its supply chain. I hope your family takes this into consideration, as well. For more details, check out: www.humanesociety.org/ihop.