Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Agony of Defeat....otherwise known as an afternoon with the Saskatchewan Roughriders

Myron and his sister Alix at the 2007 Grey Cup pre party.

When we got married, the marriage vows included "...and the wife shall cheer for the Saskatchewan Roughriders."  Not really, but it was inferred.  As was "...and the husband shall learn to like ballet".  I was pregnant with Our Girl when we attended the 1989 Grey Cup when they won the Cup (which accounts for her love of the team) and a large contingent of Myron's family descended on Toronto to attend the Rider's 2007 Grey Cup win.

It has not always been an easy road, following the Green Boys.  After 23 years of marriage, I think I'm understanding the rules of the game pretty well.  There was never any question, that as a Toronto born girl, I would NOT be cheering for the Argos.  God forbid.  When you are married to Myron W (the "W" stands for "With green blood running through his veins"), you cheer for the Riders.  Period.  End of story.

Yesterday, we endured what seemed like Hell in Hamilton.  Our Green Boys were meeting up with the hungry Tiger Cats.  Or should I say, the Green Boys were served on a platter for the TiCats??  Yoy.  Like a bullfight, it was a gory sight to behold.  The problem was that the Riders never showed up!   Hamilton annihilated Saskatchewan and as energized as the Hamilton fans were, we poor melonheads were wilting in the hot July sun.  

I have watched my husband support his team through thick and thin and his devotion to his team is unwavering.  He rants and raves at the players, at the coaches and at the referees.  He wears his jersey while sitting in our living room watching his "guys" or his "bums" depending on what the previous game results were.  The man I married has a heart that is bigger than Saskatchewan itself and he will always be a Prairie boy.  That heart is also made of mush.  I've seen him mist up at what he calls "beautiful plays" and yell Ukrainian obscenities at the screen when they mess up.  The latter happens more frequently.

His idols were Ron Lancaster (#23) and George Reid (#34).  Those two numbers are always included in our lotto picks and when he plays roulette in Vegas.   His favourite colour is green.  He cries when he hears the Rider's anthem.   I love him for all these things. 

I have a birthday coming up.  The past year I have been calling myself "Heinz 57", but with the addition of another year, I will have to give up that moniker.  My hubby told me a couple of weeks ago that he wanted to take me to Mt. Tremblant for my birthday weekend...nice!!!  It wasn't until later that I learned that his Riders are playing in Montreal on Sunday night and that we will be going to see them play the Alouettes!!    These two groupies will be on hand.  

Would a win for my birthday be too much to ask??




No comments: